All medical results are subject to final approval by the University of the District of Columbia team physician. All medical records on file in the training room are the confidential property of the University of the District of Columbia Athletic Department and cannot be used for non-athletics purposes. The medical history and physical examination forms can be downloaded from the UDC Athletics web site – click on the Student Athlete Physical Examination Form below.
Physical examinations are required for all first-time participants who wish to try out for and/or participate on an intercollegiate athletics team at the University of the District of Columbia. No student-athlete will be permitted to participate, in any way, until all referrals, or recommendations by the examining physician are completed, and the physician has signed and approved eligibility for participation. There are no exceptions to this policy. All costs related to pre-participation physicals are the full financial responsibility of the student-athlete, including any additional charges generated from supplemental tests (e.g. echocardiogram, blood work).
All returning student-athletes must complete a medical update prior to participating in any practice, competition or out-of-season activity. The medical update form can be obtained in the training room.
Confidential medical updates must be completed after May 31, 2012 to be valid for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Student-Athletes who develop a significant injury or illness after completing the medical update but before the first sanctioned practice, must present to the UDC athletic trainer a letter of clearance from a qualified physician.
The University of the District of Columbia does not provide primary insurance coverage for athletic injuries. The Department of Athletics may provide secondary insurance coverage of medical costs directly from athletic injuries provided proper procedures are followed by the student-athlete. All student-athletes are asked to provide their primary insurance information by completing an insurance coverage form which can be downloaded from the Student-athlete Physical Examination Form below. Student-Athletes should notify the Athletic Trainer of any changes in insurance coverage.
In order for the University of the District of Columbia to provide secondary insurance coverage for medical costs related to an athletic injury, the student-athlete must comply with the following procedures:
- The student-athlete must obtain a completed and signed UDC Sports Medicine Referral For Services Form from the sports medicine department. The form is provided for each necessary referral and applicable only to specific services stated on the form by the signing physician. The University of the District of Columbia will not provide secondary coverage for any medical costs related to the injury if the student-athlete fails to obtain this form.
- Prior to the appointment, the student-athlete must notify his/her primary insurer. If required by the primary insurer, the student-athlete must also obtain the proper authorization prior to the appointment.
- During the patient registration process, the student-athlete must provide both his/her primary insurance and UDC insurance information to the medical provider. The University of the District of Columbia insurance information is contained on the UDC Referral For Services Form noted above.
- The medical provider should submit all bills to the student-athlete’s primary insurance company for consideration and processing. The student-athlete will receive an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from his/her primary insurer. The EOB details the primary insurer’s actions and is generally mailed to the address of the policy holder.
- The medical provider should submit any remaining balances to the University of the District of Columbia’s secondary insurance carrier. The student-athlete should receive an EOB or itemized bill.
- As a secondary insurer, the University of the District of Columbia will consider payment for bills only after the primary insurer has paid and/or denied payment to the health care provider.
- Student-Athletes should keep copies of all information related to the injury.
If you have any questions regarding an insurance claim, please contact Athletic Trainer Khalfani Sullivan at 202-274-6269 or email@example.com.
*Exceptions for obtaining a written referral from UDC sports medicine may be made in the event of a medical emergency. In this instance, the student-athlete should report to the nearest medical facility and notify UDC sports medicine as soon as possible.
Student-Athletes may obtain a second opinion regarding any athletically related injury. However, in order for the University of the District of Columbia to assume any financial responsibility for medical expenses associated with an athletic related injury (e.g. physician visits, physical therapy, x-rays, MRI’s, orthotics, chiropractic care), the student-athlete must obtain a completed and signed UDC Referral For Services Form in advance of seeking the second opinion. Any expenses associated with services not specifically stated on the completed and signed UDC Sports Medicine Referral For Services Form are the full financial responsibility of the student-athlete and their primary insurance carrier.
The Department of Athletics does not provide or pay for any prescriptions or over the counter medication prescribed by a physician. This includes payment of medication for both illnesses and injuries.
Training Room Rules
- Report all injuries and illnesses immediately to the athletic trainer.
- Sign-in when reporting to the training room for all treatments and rehabilitation sessions.
- Equipment can be signed out of the training room upon request when necessary. DO NOT remove equipment from the training room without permission from the athletic trainer.
- DO NOT use machines or equipment unless instructed by the athletic trainer.
- Always allow plenty of time for taping and treatments before practice and competition. It is your responsibility to report to practice and competition on time.
- If possible, please shower after practice or games before reporting for treatment.
- Please keep the training room clean. Pick up after yourself.
- Please return any equipment or treatment material in the same condition it was in when originally borrowed. Return the ice scoop to the top of the ice machine and close the door when finished.
- Do not bring personal belongings into the training room while treatments are being administered.
- No food or drinks are allowed.
- All student-athletes must be properly dressed.
- Loitering is not allowed.
- Do not wear spikes or cleats or muddy/wet shoes in the training room.
- Place all soiled towels and wraps in the hamper.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco are prohibited.
- Training room telephones and computers are not to be used.
- Horseplay is prohibited.