Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Firebirds Fall on the Road at No. 4 NYIT

Celentano was 13-of-24 on faceoffs and scored one goal.
Celentano was 13-of-24 on faceoffs and scored one goal.

OLD WESTBURY, NY – The University of the District of Columbia men's lacrosse team was defeated, 25-4 on the road at the No. 4 ranked team in Division II, New York Institute of Technology, in East Coast Conference action on Saturday afternoon at President's Stadium.

The Firebirds, who had won a program record three straight games entering today's contest, fell to 3-2 overall and 1-1 in league play. The Bears bounced back from their first loss of the season to Pace (13-7) on Wednesday, and they improved to 4-1 overall (1-0 ECC).

Junior midfielder LaRon Hinton, the leading goal scorer and 2nd leading point scorer in the nation, paced the Firebirds today with three points on two goals and one assist. Junior midfielder Teilen Celentano and sophomore attack Zack Hart scored a goal apiece as well.

Sophomore goalkeeper Nikolas Lund-Murray (3-2) took the loss today as he stopped five of 18 shots faced and allowed 13 goals in the first half while the Firebirds were out-shot 28-7. Freshman backup goalie Cyree Beckett saw his first action of his collegiate career today, and he stopped four of 16 shots faced while allowing 12 goals in the 2nd half.

NYIT featured nine different goal scorers, including Leroy Halftown with seven goals and two assists, and Will Kistinger with six goals and one assist. Matthew Chanenchuk also added three goals and five assists, and George Schultz pitched in three goals and four assists.

Bears goalkeeper Alex Seltzer improved to 4-1 this season as he stopped five of seven shots faced in the first three quarters of play (45 minutes). Philip Grella III subbed in for the final quarter, stopping three of five shots faced and allowing two goals.

NYIT scored early and often, racing out to a 7-0 lead in the 1st quarter, and a 13-0 lead at halftime. The Bears scored the first six goals of the 3rd quarter to extend their lead to 19-0 before UDC finally got on the board with Celentano's unassisted goal at the 5:52 mark. Hinton would score in the final minute of the quarter, but not before NYIT tacked on two more goals, and the Bears led 21-2 heading into the final quarter.

The Bears stayed on the attack, scoring four straight goals to open the 4th quarter and extending their lead to 25-2. UDC scored the final two goals of the game – Hart off of a Hinton assist at 5:39, and Hinton, unassisted at 4:45.

Next up, the Firebirds will host the No. 13 ranked team in Division II, ECC foe Mercy College, on Saturday, March 18th