BOYDS, MD – The University of the District of Columbia men's tennis team fell 6-3 to East Coast Conference rivals Queens College (N.Y.) Friday afternoon at Tennisplex, Germantown.
The Firebirds (4-6, 0-2 ECC) were again competing against a regionally ranked opponent, and Queens College who have moved to an impressive 13-4 overall and 3-0 in conference play are looking for back-to-back ECC Championships.
With rotational changes in the lineup in doubles play, the Firebirds saw losses at No. 1 and No. 3 before the No. 2 doubles partnership of Rok Bozic and Alexis Baguelin took an 8-6 win over their Knights opponents to give the visitors a slender lead going into singles.
UDC lost at No. 3 singles to extend Queens lead to 3-1, however, a fine win at No. 4 by senior Ander Murillo gave the Firebirds some hope of a comeback. But unfortunately, some excellent tennis played at No. 2 and then No. 1 saw the Knights battle their way to victory with wins over Baguelin, 4-6, 6-0, 6-4, and at No. 1 Bozic, 7-6, 3-6, 6-1, to give the visitors the win.
The Firebirds also fell at No. 6 singles and to end the day on a positive Josip Marinic put in a worthy performance at No. 5 to win 6-0, 2-6, 6-3.
The District of Columbia will be in action against Post University, Saturday, March 31st at 12PM.
1. Mendez/Laga (QC) def. Pinto/Marinic 8-2
2. Bozic/Baguelin def. Martinez/Bendito (QC) 8-6
3. Sec/Zurro (QC) def. Murillo/Feligioni 9-7
1. Gabriel Mendez (QC) def. Rok Bozic 7-6(3), 3-6, 6-1
2. Cosme Jubera (QC) def. Alexis Baguelin 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
3. Roman Laga (QC) def. Diego Pinto 6-3, 6-0
4. Ander Murillo def. Richard Sec (QC) 7-6(3), 6-3
5. Josip Marinic def. Lucas Martinez (QC) 6-0, 2-6, 6-3
6. Jose Zurro (QC) def. Marco Feligioni 6-1, 6-3