BOYDS, MD – The University of the District of Columbia women's tennis team fell 6-3 to USciences in NCAA Division II East Regional action Thursday at Tennisplex, Germantown.
The Firebirds (4-7, 4-3 ECC) playing in their 1st match this spring, lost two doubles matches and lost one by default. However, they won three of five singles matches played. USciences, a member of the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC), improved to 9-8 overall.
Senior Dominika Hadnadova led her team by example with a convincing 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles. Hadnadova's win had an instant impact as freshman Anastasia Danylova won comfortably 6-1, 6-3 to gain the Firebirds another point.
However, UDC fell in No. 3 and 4 singles to ensure the Firebirds would not win the match. However, a strong finish by freshman Florence Clercx saw her win at No. 5 – 6-3, 6-0.
Next, the District of Columbia will play host to Millersville University, Tuesday, March 20th at 2:00PM.
1. Linder/Paran (USP) def. Hadnadova/Castrillon 8-4
2. Gamarnik/James (USP) def. Khomyachenko/Danylova 8-4
3. Le/Soriano (USP) def. default
1. Dominika Hadnadova def. Abby Gamarnik (USP) 6-2, 6-1
2. Anastasia Danylova def. Danielle Paran (USP) 6-1, 6-3
3. Elkanah Linder (USP) def. Anastasia Khomyachenko 6-4, 6-2
4. Julia James (USP) def. Estefania Castrillon 1-6, 6-4, 10-7
5. Florence Clercx def. Han Le (USP) 6-3, 6-0
6. Gabbie Soriano (USP) def. default