PHILADELPHIA, PA – The University of the District of Columbia men's tennis team was defeated by Chestnut Hill College, 6-3 in a battle of long standing regionally ranked rivals Saturday afternoon at Chestnut Hill Tennis Courts.
UDC is now 3-3 early in the season. Chestnut Hill, out of the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC), won today to take their record to 5-2 overall.
With No. 3 and 2 doubles losing in close contests, it was again the nationally ranked duo of Rok Bozic and Diego Pinto who are unbeaten in doubles play this season who claimed a tense 9-8 win over Bocaletto and Regalin of Chestnut Hill to give UDC an important point going into singles play.
The Firebirds were back in the contest getting another point when Ander Murillo at No. 4 won 6-1, 1-0 after his opponent Bocaletto retired. The match was back in balance, however, defeats at No. 5 and then No. 6 saw the District of Columbia once again fall behind.
The match was wrapped up for the Griffins as No. 2 Alexis Baguelin fell 6-0, 6-4 to Jesus Darias who has only lost once all season going into this game.
Then, the competitive game at No. 3 between Diego Pinto and his opponent Gautier saw them face-off in a three set match that was won by Gautier 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.
However, once again senior No. 1 Rok Bozic demonstrated his strengths defeating opponent Felix Andre 6-4, 6-4, and is yet to lose a game in the spring season.
The Firebirds are back in action tomorrow when they face Jefferson, Sunday, March 18th, at 12PM.
1. Bozic/Pinto def. Bocaletto/Regalin (CHC) 9-8(4)
2. Darias/Gautier (CHC) def. Baguelin/Murillo 9-8(3)
3. Andre/Gavin (CHC) def. Feligioni/Marinic 8-6
1. Rok Bozic def. Felix Andre (CHC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jesus Darias (CHC) def. Alexis Baguelin 6-0, 6-4
3. Antoine Gautier (CHC) def. Diego Pinto 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Ander Murillo def. Lucas Bocaletto (CHC) 6-1, 1-0 ret.
5. Pedro Regalin (CHC) def. Josip Marinic 6-2, 6-1
6. Adam Gavin (CHC) def. Marco Feligioni 6-2, 6-2